Seven Steps to a New Habit
Over 75% of New Years resolutions are broken within the first two weeks and 90% within the first month.
Want to start the year off right? Follow these seven steps and exponentially increase your chances of success:
1. Make a decision: Decide clearly that you are going to begin acting in a specific way 100% of the time.
2. Never allow an exception: No excuses or rationalization.
3. Tell others: The more people you tell the more committed you'll feel and the more support you'll receive.
4. Visualize: See yourself performing and behaving in a particular way in a particular situation. Always imagine and act "as if."
5. Create affirmation: Write out and always speak of your new habit in the present tense. Repeat your affirmation when you wake up, midday, and just before going to bed.
6. Resolve to persist: Never let yourself off the hook!
7. Reward yourself: Simple rewards both reaffirm and reinforce. Make discipline a pleasurable exercise.
To your success,
Mentoring with the heart of a servant
This is awesome advice! As you can see, one of the steps is "tell others", which I TOTALLY did yesterday! But the amount of encouragement and feedback that I've received since "coming out" has been overwhelming! It sure helped me to stay on track today. I feel great!
Now I need to start getting in some sort of exercise. Between being freezing cold and lazy today, I have done nothing... I keep planning on a DVD, and even downloaded a few today. But I really miss my elliptical (mine broke :( ) Even walking would be good... its just too cold! I'll figure out something... even if its just temporary until it warms up outside in a few months. Exercise is key to my weight loss success!